Sunday, 25 January 2015

The Praetorians - Tactical Squad #2 [Space Marines]

It has been an extraordinarily long two weeks which is evident in the fact that I've only managed to finish one Marine. The squad Sergeant was just begging to be painted up to make the squad look more like a unit rather than a rag-tag of troops. 

The following photos show that there is still a little bit of touching up to do and I certainly have over-exposed the photos themselves due to taking the photos before work while it was still dark. 


With the red helmet, the Sergeant is clearly distinguishable from the other Marines. 

Considering that the other Marines in his squad have red eyes, I've had to go for an orange eye just to try and keep them looking similar. A friend suggested going green but having my Sergeants stand out as having completely different coloured visors would annoy me.

The sword is definitely still needs a lot of work with some blending and highlighting but the overall effect will be of a much more powerful sheen.

Again, the effect I was looking for with the plasma gun has not exactly worked and will need a few more small coats to really finish. A white highlight is the next course of action though. 

You will also note that I have finally drilled out their barrels and although it did take a few practice attempts I now have it down to an art. 

The plasma gunner (below) has taken a bit of damage to his shoulder pad - this is only a work in progress as I'm not going to paint it properly until I've decided what markings will be on that shoulder. 

Sunday, 18 January 2015

The Praetorians - Tactical squad #1 [Space Marines]

Recently my housemate and friends have decided that they wanted to take a step into the world of table-top gaming. They decided on small 500 point armies to get us into the spirit of things and after a small amount of pressuring I decided it would be a good idea. 

I chose Space Marines mostly because the army itself could afford to be smaller and the ability to choose a different colour scheme and paint an army up was very tempting. 

I decided to dive into the deep end and buy a tactical box of marines to test my colour scheme and to get a bulk of the troops done (before I got too bored). Quickly I began realising why I despise painting armies as I rushed through the marines taking a lot less time on them than I would like. 


The below three are the first three that are "finished" but they are still a work in progress. 

I've called the army 'the Praetorians'. Their colour scheme is the Ultramarine blue with bone coloured helmets and shoulder pads. 

Not much to really say about these guys. My plasma gunner has a glowing coil but this may need to be extended as the glow is very minor at the moment.

The first standard model I painted. From the pictures I can see where all the problems are with this. I've also got a drill-bit on the way so that I can finally drill out these guns. 

This dude is a mismatch of different types of marine and I love the idea that he's an old veteran who has seen one too many battles. 

The shoulder pads will eventually have some transfers put on them showing some insignia and numbering.